Thur. Nov. 11, 2021 – Veteran’s Day.

By on November 11th, 2021 in personal, Random Stuff, WuFlu

Thank you to all who have served, and for the sacrifices you and your family made.

————————————————————————————————–

Cool and very damp. Today someone will be getting some rain in the Houston area. Hopefully it won’t be me.

Yesterday I dropped off 6 bins at the auctioneer. Picked up 11 empty bins. He’s still willing to take more, so I’ll keep giving him stuff.

Of course that was after I had a bit of dizziness in the morning. None of us is immortal or invincible, and I’m getting that loud and clear. I’ll be trying to get in and seen by a doctor asap.

Lots of people have pointed out that your best prep before everything goes pear shaped is to get your physical self in order. So I’ll do a little work on that.

In the mean time, I’ve got ebay stuff to list, one sale to pack and ship, and house to clean. D1 has opening night for her school play tonight, so that will eat late afternoon and then the rest of the day.

Short shrift today.

Get to stacking.
n

53 Comments and discussion on "Thur. Nov. 11, 2021 – Veteran’s Day."

1. Clayton W. says:

I had some severe dizziness a few weeks ago.  Spent a day in the ER and diagnosed with BPPV.  Vertigo.  One of the causes of that is being over 50.  In other words a big nothing.  BUT there are a lot of really serious things that it can be an indicator for, so the time and money as well spent.

At the follow-up at my Dr. I noticed that nearly all the patients were masked and the mask required signs were still up. NONE of the staff was masked, to include the person doing the Covid intake check and my Dr.  Just an observation.

2. Nick Flandrey says:

68F and 97%RH, with lightning in the distance.

I'm hoping we don't get the storm here, but …. wait for it….. I guess we'll see!

n

3. Nick Flandrey says:

Well, we're seeing it.

It's pouring down at about 1" per hour, with thunder and lightning too.  So far we've gotten 0.65"…

Hope the power stays up.

n

4. Nick Flandrey says:

Nope, no bubble here.

Electric truck maker Rivian soars to a $100 BILLION valuation in year's biggest stock market debut – topping GM and Ford even though it has only delivered 150 vehicles so far

Rivian shares closed at $100.73 on Wednesday, marking a nearly 30 percent jump from its offering price even as the broader market tanked following dire new data on inflation.

–no real product.  No way to get there.   Bigger than ford and GM, based on what exactly?

n

5. MrAtoz says:

Thank you for your service, Veterans.

And, I'll say it again, I am so glad I am retired from service. I couldn't deal with some guy who wants to wear a tutu while he transitions to a "woman". Why would the military want to pay for that?

6. MrAtoz says:

Oof:

VIDEO: Rittenhouse Lawyers Demand Mistrial With Prejudice, Judge Says Prosecutors Aren’t Operating ‘On Good Faith’

Total incompetence on part of the prosecution trying to make a *woke* name for itself. Everyone involved in trying to railroad RH should be cashiered and prosecuted.

7. Greg Norton says:

The Amazon truck contract. Someone has to build their weird spec vehicles designed to skirt regulations and "truck" tolls.

And people want to believe. Show ya. It is the same personality who will pay double for the new Bronco — the real one, not the dressed up Escape which is Hecho en Mexico — despite all the problems.

8. MrAtoz says:

And so it begins, fellow Neanderthals:

Domestic extremists pushing violence against Congress, school and health officials, DHS bulletin says

Your crime: being White in 'Murca.

9. Ray Thompson says:

@Ray, you'll find out the difference the first time you use it and you find yourself in a window-less room with the contents of your suitcase strewn all over the floor and a big burly guy telling you to bend over and cough.

Ah, the joys of traveling internationally and returning to the states, the only place I have been hassled by customs and immigration. Several questions about where I had been, how long, when did I leave, etc. The one that confused me was the following dialog.

• Agent: Why are you returning?
    • Me: I live here.
    • Agent: Don't get smart with me.
    • Me (in an angry voice): What exactly do you expect me to say?
    • Agent: You can go.
    • Me (under my breath): What an f'ing idiot.

Meanwhile in Germany.

• Agent: Why are you coming to Germany?
    • Me: To visit friends
    • Agent: Have a good time.
  10. dkreck says:

Well maybe the shot but Grusome may have had other reasons

Rumors of California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s involvement with one of his cabinet staff members have persisted since March 2021. We bring this up because this same rumor plays into Gov. Newsom’s recent disappearance from the public and his cancellation of the UN Climate Change conference.

11. MrAtoz says:

What say you, vaxxers:

Opinion: Pfizer CEO calls its jab ‘gene editing,’ exposes his clear belief in eugenics

The mecho-gene splicing experimental pseudo vaccination. I knew it all along.

12. dcp says:

customs and immigration

I ran into some American vs. English confusion when I flew into Heathrow back in 2010.

Agent:  What is your purpose in coming to the UK?

Me:  Just visiting.

Agent:  Who are you visiting?

Me: ….

Me: No one.  I'm just here to see the sights.

13. brad says:

Yep. By far the most unfriendly country to enter. And that's for citizens – visitors get treated at least as badly.

Well, if you insist on taking his words out of context. He was asked about possible future developments. He says "There are a lot of technologies that are trying to use gene editing…to change, to repair the mistake of your DNA". He doesn't say that this is mRNA, he is talking about areas that companies (including his) are working on. Listen starting at 29:00 to about 29:50. He is specifically discussing future developments, not the current vaccines.

But anti-vaxxers gotta anti-vax, so have at it.

14. SteveF says:

And sheep gotta baaa.

15. brad says:

Baaa 🙂

16. Alan says:

>> He's in a Challenger with paper tags that don't match the vehicle.  They are for a Charger, and even that Charger ran from the cops a couple of months ago.  Crims in Texas LOVE temp plates.

Seems like a lot of love…

Nice of the Chronicle to help out the newbies:

"Buyer tags in Texas have four countermeasures built into them to make forging them more difficult." (with detailed picture)

17. Alan says:

Must be part if the "supply chain" issues that Uncle Joe again insists no one is smart enough to understand…I guess including him??

Oh, and during his remarks yesterday he clearly said the following: "…Delaware has the most corporations of any nation in the state." Jeez.

18. Nick Flandrey says:

The bigger question is why the states issue licenses at all.

n

19. Pecancorner says:

Thank you to all who served. This song & the photos with it are a salute to all our veterans, from the beginning until now.  Each had a different war fighting experience, but all know the hardships, and all served for the same reasons. God bless and love you all.

A Veteran's Day Montage: American Anthem

20. SteveF says:

The bigger question is why the states issue licenses at all.

Going back about a century, there was a problem with people careening around in their automobiles and causing accidents or near accidents and just driving away. That led to mandatory vehicle registration, just as inability to pay for injuries they caused led to mandatory insurance. (You'll note that in the intervening century, these problems have not gone away.)

Neither of these gets to the justification for mandatory licensing of drivers. You'd think that with today's pervasive surveillance there'd be less need — unsafe drivers are likely to be caught, licensed or not, so the license doesn't add anything. Except, of course, for adding to The Beast's insatiable appetite for taxing and controlling everything.

21. DadCooks says:

Thanks to all my fellow Veterans, and by "fellow," I mean those males and females who know what body parts came as their original equipment.

I'm feeling in a ranting mood today, so I'll leave it at that, maybe.

People need to realize that they will be known by their good works, not by color or gender. This "woke movement" is anything but an awakening. It is just driving people further and further apart.

Recently there has been some submarine and GPS discussion. I could write a book.

Regarding that submarine that ran into something, that was no accident; it was incompetence. Sure a submarine does not want to use active sonar, but it has several methods of "seeing" what is around. Our subs have some very sophisticated cameras that can see in the darkest/deepest waters. Passive sonar also "hears" the virtual "pin drop" as currents move over the seafloor and objects. There are also other "listening" devices" that can be "deployed." Sure it is monotonous and boring, but it has to be done. But these days, the Navy has the lowest standards ever and concentrates on things unrelated to our National Security. The weak link is people, people not doing their job.

22. nick flandrey says:

If it's in the trunk, it's too far away.

And stay inthe damn car.

n

23. MrAtoz says:

Our President:

Joe Biden inspires his audience by reminiscing about ‘the great Negro’ Satchel Paige [video]

plugsy McNegroBrain. The guy's brain is total mush.

24. Clayton W. says:

Dad, my experience does not match yours.  We found an uncharted mountain by disturbing the navigation gear.  Captain decided to drive over it a few times to map it with the secure fathometer.  We had no idea it was there.

A new or uncharted mountain could certainly be missed when transiting.  Flow noise from transiting would mask any miniscule noise from currents.  The South China Sea is relatively shallow and congested.  And we don't know exactly where they were operating.

Relieving the Commanding Officer, the Executive Officer and the Chief of the Boat (senior enlisted person assigned as a liaison between the officers and crew (for everyone not familiar with the Navy)) but NOT the Navigator seems odd for a collision. I suspect a combination of poor training and bad standing orders wrt soundings, although that doesn't explain the COB being relieved.  There were probably issues OTHER than the accident revealed to have him relieved.

25. MrAtoz says:

If it's in the trunk, it's too far away.

Dang, look at the pictures. He should have drove away. If the guy had to get out, he should have drawn his concealed pistol, and dropped the guy. I wonder if the sword is real.

26. Greg Norton says:

Hey Jimbo, it's just a game…

Oh Christmas tree … Oh Christmas tree … Such pleasure do you bring me

Seriously, though, he's on the edge of the playoffs so he's going to quibble over little things.

27. Ray Thompson says:

By far the most unfriendly country to enter. And that's for citizens

I have arrived in Baltimore, along with a few hundred other passengers. The international arrivals had 10 people working immigration posts, the citizens posts had 5, slow, people. It took almost two hours waiting in a hot, stinking room, where the A/C was apparently not working. There were half a dozen agents standing around doing nothing. Every once in a while an agent would close their window and someone else would open another. People would scramble to change windows.

Arriving in New York there were long lines but at least the lines dumped into a common area where the next available window was assigned. An agent at the entrance was running high on her authority stool barking commands.

Newark just, well, sucked, in all forms of treatment and facilities. Delays caused wife and I to miss our connecting flight. Although one time we got a customer service person and explained our short connection time. She took us on a back route to a security station that was used by crew. No lines. Made our flight that time by being the last people to board.

North Carolina was not too bad as multiple flights are not arriving close together. Atlanta was OK as they are used to large volumes.

When arriving in foreign countries I noticed that their citizens were passed through easily, and quickly. Not so for citizens coming back into the US where everyone is considered a criminal. In all 9 trips overseas I have never once had any of my luggage searched in person. I know the contents were rifled through as things were in significant disarray from when they were packed. I have even had stuff stolen from the luggage which I am almost 100% certain was done in the US.

When I came back with 7 kilos of Gummi Bears some eyebrows were raised by customs and immigration. I declared them on my entry sheet. Immigration was a little suspicious as to why I would have that much Gummi Bears. Immigration never batted an eye where I came back with about 50 pens and mechanical pencils. I declared a value of $100.00. Later found out some of the mechanical pencils were going for $100.00 on EBay as they are considered rare and collectible. Thus I probably had over $1000.00 worth of pens and pencils.

28. ech says:

What say you, vaxxers:

From the article:

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla had an hour-long interview on Tuesday with Frederick Kemp of the Atlantic Council in which he calls mRNA shots a “gene editing,” which is an admission the mRNA jabs are not vaccines. Bourla also claims that scientists can “repair the mistakes” in DNA, or in other words they can play God.

First, it is customary to give time stamps for when someone says something in a video so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

Second, despite anything (possibly) said in the video, mRNA vaccines can't do gene editing. It's impossible, they absolutely can't affect your DNA.

Third, the whole "it's not a vaccine" is the same motte and bailey type of argument that is being used to deny that CRT related ideas are being used in public schools. It's a vaccine. It causes an immune response, producing antibodies and T-cells.

Fourth, there are already clinical treatments for genetic diseases that repair mistakes in DNA. There are treatments for a number of highly lethal genetic diseases. In most cases, they don't affect cells other than the targeted ones. Only one or two of the therapies affect germ cells, which means that these treatments can be passed on to children. IIRC, the treatment that affects germ cells is only for a 100% lethal inherited disease. Many of the treatments work by extracting the cells of the targeted type, editing the DNA in the lab, growing more cells, then implanting them back into the donor. Type 1 diabetes and other metabolic diseases are being looked at for these treatments.

The treatments being looked at are all pretty simple – one or two genes that are easily identified and repaired. Things like intelligence, etc. are not due to one or even a handful of genes and are well beyond anything possible to change in the near to medium future.

29. CowboySlim says:

I didn't get involved with subs but for McDonnell Douglas then Boeing I worked launching the GPS II satellites.  Now in retirement, I hobby extensively with GPS devices.  Any questions, I'd be happy to help.

30. lynn says:

Hey Jimbo, it's just a game…

Obviously you have never been to a TAMU football game.  It is not just a game when 110,000 people are screaming at the top of their lungs.

31. lynn says:

Here is a great book, write one to complement it: "Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage".  Highly recommended.

32. lynn says:

"BLM leader threatens ‘riots, fire, bloodshed’ in NYC if Eric Adams gets tough on crime"

"A Black Lives Matter leader vowed there’ll be “riots,” “fire” and “bloodshed” if Mayor-elect Eric Adams follows through with his promise to bring back plainclothes anti-crime cops to battle New York’s surge in violent crimes."

I know who should be the first customer of the plainclothes anti-crime squad.  Rubber hoses for all the cops !

Hat tip to:

33. lynn says:

"$283,927,000,000: Federal Tax Collections Set Record in October"

Trump's tax plan is working.  Biden's tax plan is just to seize everything they can find. Especially from the middle class.

Hat tip to:

34. lynn says:

"SHOW NOTES: Debunking Climate Change Myths: 50 Years of FAILED 'Expert' Predictions!"

"FAILED CLIMATE PREDICTIONS

• PREDICTION: The US is about to reach peak oil! SOURCE: Gizmodo USClimatescience, CNN
    • TRUTH: In 2018, the United States actually became a net EXPORTER of oil! SOURCE: WSJ
    • UPDATED PREDICTION: We will reach peak oil in 2040! SOURCE: S&PGlobal"

And many more !

Feel the Thunberg !

35. SteveF says:

Feel the Thunberg !

No thanks. I'd feel like a child molester. Or a retard molester.

36. lynn says:

"Burning Down the House: Five SFF Characters Who Can Control Fire"

Yup, I have read "Firestarter" by Stephen King, in fact several times. The book is much better than the movie which was, not horrible.

37. Greg Norton says:

Plus SEC. Big money alumni and old rivalries.

Florida vs. Georgia is so ugly that the game has to be played in Jacksonville, about midway on 301 between the two schools.

38. ech says:

One of my bosses was an officer on an attack sub in the 70s. He lent me that book with the comment "I am amazed that they got all these stories." His sub was mentioned in several places in the book.

39. nick flandrey says:

n

40. drwilliams says:

So much caffeine, so little time.

41. lynn says:

"Most Expensive Gasoline in America Close to Record Highs"

"Retail prices in the state of California were averaging $4.65 per gallon, just two cents shy of hitting the record high set in 2012, according to AAA data. Californians typically pay more for gasoline than anywhere else in the U.S. Nationally, prices at the pump are at averaging $3.42 per gallon, the highest in seven years."

I paid $2.89/gallon of regular gasoline today at my Shell station here in Richmond, Texas.  I got a $0.10/gallon discount by paying cash.  The list price was $2.99/gallon. I bought 23 gallons as I was down to a 1/3rd of a tank.

So, are they putting flakes of gold in the California gasoline ?  Get out of that place, it will only get worse when Biden puts out his new carbon taxes in the new year.

Hat tip to:

42. Alan says:

>> A returning citizen can legally refuse to answer any questions. It is their right. Of course the immigration people can put the individual in a 23 hour hold. Which I am certain immigration would happily provide.

@Ray, have you considered Global Entry? $100 for 5 years and includes TSA PreCheck (which by itself is $85 for 5 years.).

43. Alan says:

>> Well the coffee I ordered that was showing mid Dec delivery arrived today.  Not 2 day prime, but better than December.

@nick, obviously it's a supply chain issue, but only Sleepy Joe is smart enough to understand the issue.

Notice I said "understand," don't expect him to actually know how to fix it.

– – –

And oh yeah, about that "transitory" inflation, umm, never mind.

"For both the Fed and the Biden administration, what was an adamant faith in transitory inflation has been tempered."

44. ~jim says:

Red Tape holds up Bridge!

45. Alan says:

(To the tune of “Maria” from the Sound of Music)

“How do you solve a problem like Kamala?”

But as things stand now, one has to wonder how Kamala Harris even remains on the ticket in 2024, regardless of who the nominee might be. A USA Today-Suffolk University poll finds that just 28 percent of voters — less than 3 in 10 — approve of the job Harris is doing. For context, that’s 10 points below her boss (38 percent approve, 59 percent disapprove). For more context, Harris was at 46 percent approval and 40 percent disapproval upon entering office, per USA Today-Suffolk. …

It’s been 153 days since her last sit-down interview with a major broadcast news entity, in the form of NBC’s Lester Holt. You may recall that was the beginning of the end of the administration’s confidence in her abilities to handle even the most basic of questions.

46. drwilliams says:

The Apollo Murders

by Colonel Chris Hadfield

Mulholland Books, October 12, 2021

Hardcover, 471pp

from the book jacket:

NASA is about to launch Apollo 18. While the mission has been billed as a scientific one, flight controller Kazimieras "Kaz" Zemeckis knows there is a darker objective. Intelligence has discovered a secret Soviet space station spying on America, and Apollo 18 may be the only chance to stop it.

Author Colonel Chris Hadfield is one of the most seasoned and accomplished astronauts in the world. He was the top test pilot in both the US Air Force and the US Navy, and a Cold War fighter pilot intercepting armed Soviet bombers in North American airspace. A veteran of three spaceflights, he crewed the US Space Shuttle twice, piloted the Russian Soyuz, helped build space station Mir, conducted two space walks, and served as Commander of the International Space Station. He was also NASA’s Director of Operations in Russia.

My rating: 8.5 out of 10

This is about as realistic as science fiction can get. Mr. Heinlein would have approved of the detail.

47. drwilliams says:

Former chief operating officer of CBP from 2019 to 2021, Mark Morgan, obtained a document from a source inside CBP. The leaked document shows nearly half of CBP agents have not registered their COVID vaccination status and 10% of those who have registered have not received a shot. The federal mandate issued by Biden may result in the loss of over half of border patrol agents.

According to the document, as of October 25, 2021, 48% of border patrol agents have not responded to the reporting mandate. Of the 52% who had reported their vaccination status, 90% reported having received one or more COVID-19 jabs.

CBP laid out three scenarios regarding the officers who have yet to report their status. The vaccine mandate may not increase attrition from Fiscal Year 2021 levels (scenario 1), in which case the agency would lose about 1,130 agents, dropping the force of 19,536 to 18,403. Alternately, agents who have not yet responded will have gotten vaccinated at the same rate as those who have responded (scenario 2), so the agency would lose 3,084 agents, leaving the force with 16,452 agents.

In the worst-case scenario, agents who have not reported their status have done so because they refuse to take the jab, and so they will be terminated (scenario 3). In that case, net attrition could exceed 11,523 agents, leaving a mere 8,013 border agents on patrol.

In other words, the vaccine mandate and the normal rate of attrition could cost CBP a whopping 59% of its border patrol agents – in the middle of a border crisis.

BFD. We're beset by foreign invaders with the willing assistance of the slobbering vegetable puppet in the White House. We don't even know who's pulling the strings or who's writing the b.s. on the teleprompters that he can't read. Most of us sat by and watched as the election was stolen, energy production was shut down, and liars frightened people into hiding in their homes.

Good and hard.

48. lynn says:

"My Bad" by SRW in the Fort Bend Journal

"I accepted a Facebook friend request from Hormel Foods, but it was only spam …"

49. drwilliams says:

@~jim

"The Moon Has Enough Oxygen to Sustain Billions of People Buried Beneath Its Surface"

So after we bury the invading alien army, Democrats (lotsa overlap there), Never Trumpers and RINO's (still more), the commies (yet more overlap), and the most violent racist religion in the world (double ditto), it will be about full up?

Will Elon Musk be able to make enough green electric rockets? How about if we mandate that he builds them out of carbon dioxide and charges them with windmills, so we take care of another problem at the same time? Should the rockets be self-excavating, or do we send them with shovels to bury each other?

50. brad says:

Ah, the quality of modern journalism. Apparently, these people no longer learn how to write, and the publications no longer bother with editors.

However, it does answer the question of what to do with undesirables. The moon can be the new Australia!

Comments are closed.