Category Archives: computing

Tuesday, 3 February 2015

08:31 – When Barbara mentioned to her physical therapist yesterday that she planned to go back to work four weeks after her surgery, he said that just didn’t happen with knee replacements. At least six weeks, he said, and often … Continue reading

Posted in Barbara, computing, government, personal, politics, prepping | 34 Comments

Friday, 29 August 2014

09:19 – As usual this time of year, we’re run ragged trying to ship science kits and build more. We got orders for 17 kits overnight and so far this morning, which wouldn’t be a problem except that we’re running … Continue reading

Posted in computing, science kits | 24 Comments

Tuesday, 3 June 2014

08:06 – One of the minor annoyances with Netflix streaming has been that titles disappear with little notice. In the past, Netflix has provided as little as three or four days’ notice. That’s fine for a movie, but not very … Continue reading

Posted in Barbara, computing, netflix, personal, science kits | 46 Comments

Tuesday, 3 September 2013

13:24 – Have I mentioned that I hate Linux only slightly less than I hate Windows and OSX? I spent quite a few hours over the long holiday weekend migrating from my ancient system, a Core2 Quad Q9650X running Ubuntu … Continue reading

Posted in computing, science kits | 8 Comments

Monday, 1 July 2013

10:06 – Thanks to everyone who recommended add-ons to make Windows 8 usable. When I have a spare moment, I’ll install Classic Shell on Frances’ system. If that works as expected, I probably won’t have to install the Windows 8.1 … Continue reading

Posted in computing, science kits | 23 Comments

Sunday, 30 June 2013

09:13 – I spent three hours at Frances’ house yesterday getting the new computer and printer working. Or kind of working. I hate Microsoft, and I particularly hate Windows 8. It’s a terrible product, truly terrible. It sets a new … Continue reading

Posted in computing | 15 Comments

Tuesday, 25 June 2013

09:44 – Cops consider eyewitness identifications suspect, and particularly suspect if the man in question has a beard. Here’s a good example of why. When I saw the front page of the newspaper this morning, my first thought was, “Why … Continue reading

Posted in computing, personal, science kits | 58 Comments

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

10:57 – Barbara is taking the day off from work. She stayed at her parents’ apartment last night to keep her mom company, and says that Sankie is doing well. She’s taking Sankie to a doctor’s appointment this afternoon and … Continue reading

Posted in Barbara, computing, science kits | 39 Comments

Tuesday, 14 May 2013

08:41 – Barbara’s mom is at home and seems to be doing as well as could be expected. Frances stayed with her last night and Barbara will stay with her tonight, but after that they may leave her on her … Continue reading

Posted in Barbara, computing | 39 Comments

Tuesday, 7 May 2013

08:11 – With Barbara’s mom and dad both in the hospital, she and Frances are even busier than usual. They expect Dutch to be discharged late this week, and are looking at assisted-living facilities to decide which are acceptable to … Continue reading

Posted in Barbara, computing, government, politics, science kits | 33 Comments