Thur. Mar. 3, 2022 – [insert funny or eye catching phrase here]

By on March 3rd, 2022 in culture, decline and fall, personal, WuFlu

Cool, but not cold, but still clear and sunny.  I hope anyway.  Yesterday was full on ‘Chamber of Commerce weather’.    Blue sky, nice breeze, pleasant temps.   It was almost enough to believe Spring was here.

I did get some things done locally when my plan to go out to my client’s house fell apart.  Spent some time with one of my local auctioneers.   Picked up my unsold items.   Chatted a while.  His wife has recovered from the wuflu.  Some residual coughing, but she never lost smell or taste.

Did some small cleaning and maintenance stuff around the house.

Picked up D1 and completely failed to spend time together for reasons involving stuff I’m too angry about to discuss.

Dinner included chopped cabbage, sauteed in bacon fat with sweet onion as a nod to my ancestors from the Baltic region.   Good peasant food, re-imagined.  Well, not boiled anyway.   Cabbages, potatoes, carrots, onions, and apples are staples for good reasons.   They are relatively easy to grow, they store over the winter, and they have plenty of nutrition in them.   They are also easy to cook, just boil or eat most of them raw.  They CAN be prepared other, far more tasty ways though.  “Modern” cookery ignores the traditional staples in favor of exotic imports.  That’s a luxury we may  not have in days to come.  Take a new look at some recipe books.  Try some new/old things.  Plan your garden around traditional staples.

Plan for today…. nope.  Not gonna say it out loud.  One less chance for the universe to mess me about.  It does involve auction stuff and moving stuff around in storage units.  And maybe picking up a check.

Do what you can with what you have, where you are.  Smarter people than me have said similar.  It looks like good advice to me.

And stack up all the things.  If it’s critical for you, you probably need more of it.

nick

64 Comments and discussion on "Thur. Mar. 3, 2022 – [insert funny or eye catching phrase here]"

1. Nick Flandrey says:

55F and 96%RH this morning.  Super tired.

n

2. Ray Thompson says:

The Olympics were a dud. I don't know anyone who watched even a single event.

I tried to watch. Boring as the NBC coverage sucked. I don’t like “hot dog” sports like free style skiing and half pipe. I am not a fan of subjective sports like figure skating where judging is highly biased. Bobsled is too safe. The threat of crashing would require more emphasis on skill from the participants. Downhill can be exciting on real snow.

The manufactured snow was a joke. The Winter Olympics should be held in places that have snow. I suspect China bribed a lot of people to get the games.

I did watch some curling, maybe two hours worth. That was all I watched as I preferred watching reruns of Hogan’s Heroes to the annoying NBC coverage.

3. Greg Norton says:

Anyway, it's an interesting question, just what relationship Russia and China have. Certain is that China will look closely at how the world reacts to the Russian invasion, as a sign of whether they could get away with annexing Taiwan.

Annex Taiwan? Right now, the Chinese are contemplating rolling into Siberia.

Taiwan doesn't solve their resource problems. The Mainland already buys most of the output of the chip industry on the island.

4. brad says:

Right now, the Chinese are contemplating rolling into Siberia.

You seriously think so? That's not something I had considered, especially seeing as Russia would just about have to respond with nukes on a few select cities…

5. Greg Norton says:

As for 500,000 charging stations, that's a great commercial opportunity for companies, as the number of electric cars grows.

The generation and distribution capability for that opportunity doesn't exist, and US companies will wait for the government to print money to cover the cost of building the supporting infrastructure.

Privatize the gains, socialize the costs. The *real* costs. That's been standard practice for the last 20 years.

6. MrAtoz says:

@MrAtoz, Freudian slip? Or intentional??

Slip, but I typed it with a creepy whisper effect.

7. Greg Norton says:

Right now, the Chinese are contemplating rolling into Siberia.

They have to be thinking about it after the last week.

Finland in NATO was unthinkable not long ago. Suddenly the prospect of defending that border doesn't seem so daunting in Brussels.

Invading Taiwan would be a lot of heartache essentially over who is Number One Son. If you’re going to expend the military, diplomatic, and financial capital, why not gain something worthwhile.

8. MrAtoz says:

More than a bit incendiary and the proposed solutions are rubbish, but he's not wrong enumerating the problems:

Yup, to the Yup. Buy land in the FUSA and get taxed until you die. Don’t pay, they take your shit.

9. dkreck says:

Guess you missed the clowns reporting that climate changed is making it hard to find places to hold the Winter Olympics.

10. Nick Flandrey says:

We didn't watch any of the olympics this year, not even the curling, which I like a lot.   I usually watch the shooting events and biathalon too.  Not this time.  Too many ungrateful whiney biatches, and china again…

-another young healthy soccer player drops dead.

n

11. Nick Flandrey says:

Based solely on the reported facts of this story, the kid's gun use should be justified.

You don't get to chase down and reach into someone else's car, even if you are a 'dad of two' and the other a snotty kid who illegally has a pistol.

words were exchanged, Mattison reached inside the vehicle and struck Mejia in the face.

n

12. MrAtoz says:

13. SteveF says:

Olympics? Yah, I heard they were sometime not too long ago. Some skater or skier fell down or something and she was upset about it. That's about all I heard about it.

Billy G’s ex is dishing on him. Apparently he is a serial cheater.

Eh, I'll reserve judgment. Ex-, soon-to-be-ex-, and wannabe-ex-wives are not a conspicuously reliable source of information on their husbands.

14. MrAtoz says:

BillyG: I need another “reading” weekend.

Melinda: Go be with yo ho, ho.

BillyG: K, thx.

15. Greg Norton says:

The start of the deflating of The Legend of BillG, Boy Genius going back a few years seems to coincide with the death of Pam Edstrom, co-founder of the infamous "Wagg Ed", Waggener-Edstrom, who handled the PR messes at Microsoft in the old days and most likely behind the peculiar Gates performance strategy at the anti-trust trial in the 90s.

Ironically Edstrom is another frequently rumored paramour of Gates going back decades.

My wife believes something is wrong with Gates as in he is physically ill. I never doubt her snap analysis of that kind of thing because I can’t remember when she was wrong.

16. drwilliams says:

@Nick

”Cabbages, potatoes, carrots, onions, and apples are staples for good reasons.   They are relatively easy to grow, they store over the winter, and they have plenty of nutrition in them. ”

Also neglected is a good place to store such. Got root cellar.

Potatoes and onions do not keep well together.

17. drwilliams says:

“Ex-, soon-to-be-ex-, and wannabe-ex-wives are not a conspicuously reliable source of information on their husbands.”

If you want the hot dis, find the vp with no obvious talent. He’s the one in charge of hookers and hookups

18. brad says:

There's been a slew of "climate catastrophe, we're all gonna die" articles lately. As usual, completely unsupported by their own data. There was one from some US government organization (don't remember which) warning of sea level rising 12 inches in the next 30 years. Only, their own data, referenced by the article, continues to show a rise of 2.5-3.0 mm/year, which amounts to less than 4 inches in 30 years. A minor inconvenient truth: that rate of change has remained nearly unchanged since the Little Ice Age, more than 200 years ago.

Another one was how the the Antarctic ice is disappearing. Yet, according to NOAA, we are at or above the average value for Antarctic ice.

19. Greg Norton says:

The point is to lock down the population again, this time, ostensibly, in the interest of limiting greenhouse gases from commuting, but the broader agenda of restricting mobility must continue advancing.

They're going to lose the midterms and go on defense for a while, but another Jesus candidate will come along. Maybe Moochelle. I've seen a lot of those stories lately too.

Roberts will get quite a chuckle if Moochelle gets nominated in 2024 in the event that something happens to Biden. She is the ultimate foolish political choice, and America will need serious schooling on the consequences by the ol’ school marm if it happens.

20. MrAtoz says:

Maybe Moochelle.

The most hilarious thing about those articles on running "The Mooch" is that she is "untouchable". Nobody is allowed to criticize her. Black, female, Obola spouse, etc. LOL. Really want to put her in a political position with that halo around her?

They might as well run Chelsea. Not Manning. LOL.

21. Greg Norton says:

The second season of "Picard" started with the episode being made available for streaming early this morning.

Whoopi is actually … I can’t believe I’m writing this … decent.

22. MrAtoz says:

MrsAtoz and I are watching The Gilded Age. We like it as much as Downton Abbey. The costumes are amazing. They should win an award. Who knew social sniping could be so fun to watch.

23. lynn says:

Dude, sorry but you are probably the only person here who watched "Scott Pilgrim Versus The World" movie.

I finished watching "Free Guy" last night.  Strong movie with a weak finish.  The wife bounced.  Ryan Reynolds put on a great performance as a junior version of his Deadpool character.  His supporting characters were weak though.

Bulked up Ryan Reynolds does not fit into his Deadpool suit anymore.

24. lynn says:

"Need an Engraved Tombstone? It Could Be a Long Wait."

Now headstones are in short supply ?  What next ?

Hat tip to:

25. ~jim l says:

Oh noes! what have I missed?

I've been watching sea urchins.

26. lynn says:

"Billy G’s ex is dishing on him. Apparently he is a serial cheater. At least, maybe, Melinda will give the kids a big inheritance."

"Melinda Gates slams Bill for continuing to meet with 'evil' Jeffrey Epstein after she had nightmares about him and suggests he had MULTIPLE affairs throughout their 27-year marriage

• Melinda Gates' full interview with CBS Mornings host Gayle King aired on Thursday morning
    • The 57-year-old slammed her ex for his controversial friendship with the late pedophile Jeffrey Epstein
    • Melinda said that she met Epstein 'once' and 'regretted it' immediately
    • 'He was abhorrent, evil personified. I had nightmares about it afterwards,' she said of their meeting
    • Bill continued to meet with the pedophile despite her protestations: 'I made it very clear how I felt about him'
    • Bill previously said it was a 'huge mistake' meeting with Epstein multiple times
    • The pair were photographed together at Epstein's home in Manhattan in 2011, after he was convicted of soliciting child prostitutes
    • Melinda also lifted the lid on how she felt the trust in her marriage was broken by Bill's affair with an employee
    • He previously admitted having an affair with an unnamed woman who worked for Microsoft in 2000
    • The couple were married for 27 years before announcing their split in May last year
    • She revealed on Thursday that they were not 'friends' but are 'friendly' and said: 'I wish him well' "

She is not a big fan of Epstein.

27. Greg Norton says:

"Yes, you will see Whoopi, but Scott Pilgrim's drummer turns in a more cringe-worthy performance in this episode."

I think I've seen every Edgar Wright flick or TV show. I'm the same way with Richard Curtis.

One of the long-rumored cuts that were made to "Picard" for the first season after the "Rise of Skywalker" fan meltdown was the revelation of Scott Pigrim's drummer's character, Agnes Jurati, being transgendered. That was supposedly among the first footage to go along with the Beverly Crusher death flashback.

Maybe that aspect of the character will reappear this season. The cringe-worthy scene is Dr. Jurati, inebriated, fending off the advances of an obviously interested Deltan.

I think the scene takes place on the Deltan homeworld — not previously seen on any "Star Trek" movie or series.

28. Ray Thompson says:

Now headstones are in short supply ?  What next ?

The headstone for the MIL took 11 months to get created and installed. Funny how when we called the monument company to ask about the status, and inform them we would be filing a complaint, the stone got installed the day before. Yeh, right.

She is not a big fan of Epstein.

But is probably a big fan of the money she will get in the divorce settlement.

29. Greg Norton says:

Suggests. The affairs are documented. The Legend of BillG, Boy Genius (TM) protected Gates from a lot of scrutiny until his name popped up on the pilot's log book for Epstein's jet.

Of course, the Legend cut both ways in the Epstein situation. The pilot was so excited at meeting the Boy Genius (TM), that he forgot about following protocol for code names like with everyone else.

30. lynn says:

"Texas bitcoin mining booms, but sustainability, grid concerns remain"

Wow, look at all those open boxes with multiple GPU (three each ?) cards and the monster cooling fans.

“Texas has the third-highest carbon emissions related to bitcoin mining in the U.S.”

Texas has the second highest population in the USA. Looks like we need to up our game.

31. Chad says:

Without the "Bill" and the "Gates" in "Bill & Melinda Gates" she's completely uninteresting and not remotely newsworthy for anything other than the wealth she'll get in the divorce. I imagine she'll fade into obscurity and, if anything, always just be known as the lady that used to be married to Bill Gates. There are plenty of accomplished women that outshine their husbands. She isn't one of them. Though, I suppose a tell-all book is probably in her near future too. It's probably already being written by a ghostwriter.

32. Greg Norton says:

Since Steve Jobs died, the Widow Jobs has quietly become a major force shaping public opinion.

Gates wife obviously has the same needle kink Bill does so expect her to double down on that.

The soon-to-be former Mrs. Gates openly expressed that she had no desire to live in the giant house. I'll bet it becomes a tourist attraction after the Boy Genius (TM) dies, akin to the Edison properties in New Jersey and Florida.

33. Alan says:

>> Ah, wordle players amuse me again.   And I've figured out the real reason for the complaints…

These people should just give up on Wordle and go back to playing tic-tac-toe.

And hey, maybe I too can sell this to the NYTimes for $1MM.

34. Alan says:

>> Not seeing how any of this is the job of the federal government. Water pipes belong to towns and cities, and that's also who regulates local internet service.

Creating any type of 'pork' projects for the district/state is one of the top priorities of all our Congress critters.

35. Alan says:

>> I have not owned a house or a building yet that was not a money and sweat pit. I still have quite a bit of damage from the Feb 2021 (winter storm Uri) to fix at my office complex.

Only thing worse is a boat. And you can eliminate some of the sweat (though not necessarily the money) with a condo.

36. Alan says:

>> Don’t you do the Times Sunday Crossword in pen?

What pen?? I solve the whole puzzle in my head.

37. Alan says:

What's this? A company that does wrong by their customers and then backtracks and apologies…what's wrong with these people??

38. CowboySlim says:

Now headstones are in short supply ?  What next ?

My next was settled 10 years ago.  My wife and I paid and contracted for our cremations.  My wife's was done seven years ago and I'm next.  No headstones to waste money on and no preacher, who never met me, to tell my family members how wonderful I was.  No expenses whatsoever for them.

39. Greg Norton says:

The only law worse than Florida HOA statute is the Florida condo equivalent.

Jeb! signed a meaningful reform of FS720 (HOA) in a fit almost 20 years ago, over someone not being able to fly an American flag at their home, but lobbyists for attorneys have carefully managed to amend the statute with strike outs every few years to remove the homeowner protections.

40. Greg Norton says:

2024 is back on in Florida.

Redistricting was really what the last election for Governor was all about. The majority of the FL Supreme Court went up for grabs on Jan. 1, 2019.

41. ~jim says:

>>  No headstones to waste money on and no preacher, who never met me, to tell my family members how wonderful I was. <<

Amen, Stu. Your legacy will live on, and maybe your boots too. Nick will probably resell them on eBay but that won't bother you because you'll be dead and returned to the carbon cycle, as it were.

42. Nick Flandrey says:

she is "untouchable".

yeah the racist worldview expressed by truly believing that is incredible.   (distinct from a 'realpolitik' view that BECAUSE of others' racism, such a thing is true).

n

43. lynn says:

Our local Shell station jumped the price of regular gasoline, paying cash, from $3.09/gallon to $3.45/gallon today.  The Exxon across the street is $3.49.  $4 gasoline is coming !

44. lynn says:

We are having a conversation today in rec.arts.sf.written about Putin.  The starter of the conversation said that Putin wants to be a Tsar.  Another person said that Putin wants to be Peter the III.  I said that Putin wants to be Stalin who built Russia into the USSR.

45. lynn says:

2024 is back on in Florida.

I cannot decide if I want Trump to run in 2024 or not.  I definitely want Desantis to run.

Trump played the Russian invasion of Ukraine wrong.  And then he got misquoted (probably on purpose).

46. lynn says:

"Top Russian general is killed by Ukrainian sniper as Kyiv claims 9,000 of Putin’s troops have died during invasion”

• "Major General Andrey Sukhovetsky was reportedly killed yesterday by a sniper
    • He is by far the most senior figure to have been killed amid the Russian invasion
    • His death represents a major blow to Russia's 'special military operation'
    • It will be seen in Ukraine as a sign that the invasion is not progressing as planned
    • It comes as the armed forces claimed to have downed 9,000 Russian troops
    • The Kremlin meanwhile insists that less than 500 of its soldiers have been lost "

Yup, the war propaganda machines are running full blast.

47. lynn says:

"A.F. Branco Cartoon – One Big-Gas Mistake"

"Biden says he stands with Ukraine while paying Russia money for oil that funds the war against them. Political cartoon by A.F. Branco ©2022"

True dat.  600,000 barrels/day of crude oil coming to the USA from Russia.

48. Greg Norton says:

Putin doesn't want to be the Russian leader who allowed the German military to establish bases in the Ukraine under the guise of NATO. Memories are long in that part of the world.

49. Greg Norton says:

Trump let himself get played on the virus by Fauci and the "Scarf Queen" as Limbaugh used to call her.

As far as I'm concerned, he's done.

If the Dems do something stupid enough this year to warrant the Republicans electing Speaker Trump, that's fine, but not President.

50. Greg Norton says:

$3.49 at the 7-11 on the corner near my house when I drove by about an hour ago.

51. EdH says:

$4 gasoline is coming !

…and the Californians ran into the streets, screaming with relief, cheering with joy!

52. SteveF says:

$4.00 gasoline is here, where I am. In fact, prices blew past $4. In a single day they jumped $0.20, to $4.199 for 87 octane, 10% ethanol, most common non-club price. 91% increase since January 19, 2021.

53. drwilliams says:

Things are getting really bad for Brandon.

Pelosi may have to impeach Trump again.

54. lynn says:

"Reagan tells Soviet jokes"

I miss Ronald Reagan.

55. mediumwave says:

COMMS SECURITY: A report:

The Russian forces are using Baofeng (China) UV-5R dual-band 2m/70cm (440 Mhz) ham radios that sell on Amazon for $25 to $60. It’s a great radio for the money, and lots of hams I know have them, along with the separate clip-on mic/speaker so the radio can stay on the hip.

Except for jamming and lack of encryption, and the fact that amateur radio operators in all countries already frequent those bands, it’s an extremely good choice for an army under budget.

56. lynn says:

"NASA awards SpaceX three additional commercial crew missions"

"WASHINGTON — NASA ordered three more commercial crew missions to the International Space Station from SpaceX Feb. 28 at a price of more than three-quarters of a billion dollars."

"The NASA announcement did not disclose the value of the contract modification, only that the total value of the contract was now $3.49 billion. According to a federal contract database, NASA issued a $776 million modification for the contract Feb. 28 for the three flights. NASA spokesman Josh Finch confirmed that figure March 3, noting the figure “includes ground, launch, in-orbit, return and recovery operations, and cargo transportation for each mission, as well as a lifeboat capability while docked to the International Space Station.”"

It is not just the trip up but the lifeboat and the eventual trip down.

57. lynn says:

"Pain at the pump: Americans are warned to budget for $5-A-GALLON gas as oil prices surge during Russian invasion of Ukraine and US national average rises to $3.61 – up $1 from a year ago, according to AAA"

The Russian were selling five million barrels of oil a day into the world market.  That oil will not be easily replaced, if at all.  The USA could have made a million more barrels per day if creepy Joe had not shut down the Keystone pipeline and the drilling on federal lands.

58. Nick Flandrey says:

Pelosi may have to impeach Trump again.

—  why do you thing she isn't?  That's what the current mess with his papers is about, and the push to get him for some sort of conspiracy involving Jan 6…

n

59. Greg Norton says:

she is "untouchable".

People wanna believe in the Jesus candidate.

No one wants to think their cars will be taken away or they will be put on the equivalent of Medicaid for healthcare.

Meanwhile Moochelle and Barry will be out in the Magnum PI estate tidal pool, recreating the snorkeling tutorial scene from the credits.

Once imagined, it can’t be unimagined. 🙂

60. Nick Flandrey says:

So what do you guys think?  I've been tagging these posts with "wuflu" since March of '20.  At what point is that not the overall concern or a relevant tag?

I'm thinking of stopping next week, unless a post or discussion is directly related to the chinkyflu.  Two years seems like enough to me, given where we are in Texas.   It's past time to move on into 'endemic' and just deal with it.   Or does it feel different to all y'all outside Texas?

n

61. ~jim says:

>> So what do you guys think? <<

In the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, it's always something.

The end is nearer! The end is nearer!

Comments are closed.