Tues. Oct. 5, 2021 – lots happening today

By on October 5th, 2021 in ebay, personal, WuFlu

Hot and slightly less humid, chance of rain, although yesterday was really awesome weather. A bit on the hot side in the 90s but nice in the shade. Clear blue sky with only occasional dark clouds. I’ve got a lot to do so I could use the same, maybe cooler, today.

I got some stuff done yesterday, although like usual, not all that I wanted to. I did get paint on the shelves with d2. We’re not done, but we’ve got primer on them. I’m think I’m going to regret using regular primer and not something specifically for plastic though. Paint is barely sticking.

Couldn’t find whatever is dead in my driveway. Didn’t find the third kitten today either, so I have my suspicion about WHAT is making the stink, just can’t find what it’s under.

After dropping the two ebay sales at the Post Office, I got two more sales and one lowball offer. Four items sold in one day. It’s like old times all of a sudden. Unfortunately the sale price is averaging $30-40 with about 50% markup. That might be WHY the items are selling, smalls do better than big items when times are tough. I’m going to test that by listing a pair of Martin Logan Motion SLM flat panel speakers. I should be able to get $400-500 for the pair. I still need to test them, they are ‘barn fresh’. I paid up for them, about $200, which I should be able to get back “AS-IS for parts” if there is an issue. If they do well, I’ve got some other expensive stuff to list, along with the staple smalls. The expensive stuff takes a lot longer to list as more testing is involved and there is more risk too. At least these speakers are light and small-ish.

I need to find what is selling and then pile on to that. Dump everything else locally, and concentrate on the easy money first.

I learned something new yesterday. D2 finally told me what she wants to be for Halloween, so we went by the Goodwill store on the way home from school to start looking for pieces to repurpose or use. While there I had a chat with one of the employees. She works at a variety of the stores, including the outlets. She doesn’t work directly for Goodwill, she works through an agency, which means she can shop there when she’s off the clock. So she does a bit of thrifting/reselling on the side. Had some good scores too. Anyway, she told me that stuff that piles up in the stores doesn’t go directly to the outlets when they clear it out. At least here in Houston, it goes to other stores that need stock. It could go to several stores before it ends up at the bins. Some stuff does go directly to the bins though. There is some airport lost property that goes directly to the outlet near the airport. And there is stuff that goes directly from the donate intake to the bins, when they get behind in processing it.

FWIW, the prices in the store were just under ebay prices. I asked her “Got a new store manager?” as my opening. She said yes, and I commented that I could tell by the increase in prices. That’s what kicked off our conversation. Prices go up when the new guy wants to capture more money after seeing all the resellers in the store. Then resellers stop buying. (They buy far more than an off the street customer does typically, especially in things like books, electronics, and small appliances that aren’t fast movers.) Stuff piles up. Stuff gets wholesaled out to the other stores or the outlet. Manager learns the lesson they all learn and lowers prices to MOVE the merch. There’s no shortage of stock for the Goodwill stores at the moment, so if they don’t move the merch they drown in an endless river of stuff.

I might have the same problem.

And that’s what I’m working on. Get rid of the sales stuff, buy more of the survival stuff.

Today is full. Orthodontist with D1 this morning, followed by the theater set pickup, then an auction pickup, and more auction dropoff, shipping dropoff, and all my normal stuff. Oh, and I need to get ready for WDW this weekend.

Stack it high (but be sure you’re stacking useful stuff, not just any old stuff.)

nick

64 Comments and discussion on "Tues. Oct. 5, 2021 – lots happening today"

1. Nick Flandrey says:

66F and 96% RH at 6am.

Just getting started with my day 🙂

Joy.

2. Ray Thompson says:

Stupid VA (I know, redundant). On June 30 of this year I was sent from the VA clinic to the local hospital for an X-Ray. Yesterday I get a bill from the hospital for the X-Ray because the VA is refusing to pay the bill. So off to the local clinic today where I will present the clinic with the bill. Also an appointment with my primary care physician for my regular 3 month checkup. Apparently when you get older the checkups are more frequent. But the VA only wants to see me once a year.

3. Greg Norton says:

I've been restarting my NVR software every day when it is killed or seg faults.  Seems like I should be able to schedule a task to start daily….

I start the software by opening a terminal window in a specific folder, then typing "dotnet agent.dll" at the command prompt.   And that's it.

I'm happy losing some footage in the middle of the day, and the stupid thing runs for about 22 hours before puking.

What exactly do I need to do to have it start every day at 12 noon?   Will it matter if it's already running by some miracle?  I usually stop it by closing the terminal window, and saying yes to the dialog warning me about running processes in the terminal.

The vendor doesn't supply a systemd or /etc/rc script to kick off the DVR when the system restarts and monitor for failures?

A quick and dirty solution suggestion, from the same shell prompt/directory:

$ while ((1)); do timeout 23.98h dotnet agent.dll; done

This will loop continuously, restarting "dotnet agent.dll" every 23h 59m if the DVR process doesn't puke sooner.

Experiment with the time value, like .98m to see if it cleanly restarts your DVR process every minute.

You will have to kill the terminal window to stop the while loop while experimenting.

A more elegant solution would be a crontab entry, set to kick off the process every day at noon, but that would require writing a script to switch to the full path of right directory and then kick off "dotnet agent.dll".

Systemd probably also has some voodoo to do the same thing, but I was in denial about systemd for many years so my experience with that monstrosity is really limited.

4. SteveF says:

Nick, to restart a Linux box on a schedule, open a terminal and become superuser.

nick:~$ sudo su –

And then enter the task scheduler editor

root:~# crontab -e

You'll be in some text editor, probably vi/vim but possibly others. I'll leave it to you to figure out what you're in, how to type text, and how to save and exit.

and type the following line

0 12 * * * shutdown -r now

Save and exit. You should get a message along the lines of "New configuration saved."

5. Greg Norton says:

The postings to hire experienced billing process people are going begging from what I understand.

The VA also has a lot of people still trying to work from home in their jammies.

Trump took care of the VA's budget for any general government shutdown situation. They're funded through … 2025 (?).

6. Greg Norton says:

Restarting the box doesn't restart the DVR software. That’s part of the issue.

Plus editing crontab ususally involves vi unless the system is new-ish.

7. Nick Flandrey says:

Thanks Greg, I'll give that a try later.   The vendor just released an update so I've installed that and we'll see if the crashing persists.

8. MrAtoz says:

–yanno, push hard and long enough and they'll get what they are looking for.  The FBI is at their best when they are creating terrorists here at home.  Some of the hundreds of thousands of parents will be well trained, by .mill and .gov even.  And it isn't going to be pretty.

This is an ugly thing to do. plugs will go to Hell for this one.

9. ITGuy1998 says:

Work just sent an email this morning mandating vaccinations for all. Proof of compliance must be uploaded into Workday by Dec 8. I will definitely lose one person to this, mabye an additional two. The one I will definitely lose will be a big loss.He is a couple years away from retirement. He is going to let the company fire him – the right move in my opinion. At least I'll be in an even better position. He is the only other one on my team (besides myself) that has the ability to adapt to new tech quickly. Everyone else seems to want, or can't move past, being pigeon holed. Whats also entertaining is my boss. He really does not have enough to do and does parts of my job. He likes to be the hero. He knows deep down though that he isn't technical, and would probably lose a tremendous amount of sleep at night if he didn't have his Army retirement pay to fall back on (retired Lt. Col.) Of course, he did just buy an $80k+ F250 and an RV, so maybe he is just a little nervous now…

In other news, my son and I did a campus visit to the University of Alabama yesterday. A full afternoon – personal guided tour, honors college presentation, a talk with the Civil Engineering Associate Dean, and a private Engineering campus tour. Very informative and it makes me want to go. Right now he's leaning towards Civil, but that may change. My only requirement for paying is that he does something in STEM. UA and Auburn are the two schools he's considering. I'm good with whichever he chooses.

The facilities at both UA and Auburn are impressive. They both also have a ton of clubs to participate in. Some stupid ones, yes. But also cool things like en EV club. GM donated a AWD Tahoe and they are converting it to a hybrid by adding an electric motor to drive the back wheels. Other clubs involve building a scale rocket to fly, concrete canoe, and building a scale Indy car (about go-kart size). All of these also involve competions with other schools. Great opportunities if one is willing to make the effort…

10. MrAtoz says:

Here it is right in your face:

Biden Refuses to Answer Foreign Policy Question Because it Would “Confuse the American People” (VIDEO)

Hello fellow Neanderthals. plugs tells us we are to stupid to understand foreign policy.

11. Nick Flandrey says:

Oh FFS, it's called ACTING.

Tuesday, Oct 5th 2021
    Sarah Silverman slams Hollywood over ‘Jewface' casting after Catholic Kathryn Hahn is cast to play proud Jewish actress and comedian Joan Rivers

Actress and comedian Sarah Silverman argued against alleged 'Jewface' casting on her podcast
        Silverman claims that there is a 'long tradition of non-Jews playing Jews,' citing several instances in modern film and television
        She argued the alleged practice is 'f****d up' and that 'representation matters'
        Silverman is not the first entertainer to question 'Jewface' casting practices
        In 2018, after Felicity Jones was selected to play Ruth Bader Ginsburg, numerous entertainers raised concerns

— took me a second to figure out that 'jewface' was some horrid portmanteau of "jewish and blackface", and not something like "resting b!tch face".

–wonder how they'll vet the next actor to play a murderer, or a dead body.  Talk about dying for your art.   Wonder how many people anthony hopkins will have to skin before he can reprise his role?

ACTING people, not BEING

12. Nick Flandrey says:

Hah ha!   /muntz voice

"in band" control circuits are bad, m'kay.   We've known that for years, since Ma Bell and CapnCrunch whistles.

13. Nick Flandrey says:

China's been mapping Taiwan's defense capabilities.

Taipei said it scrambled fighters, broadcast radio warnings and activated missile defences in response.

Wonder how many anti-radiation homers will be targeted at each of those sites?

I'm also struck by how similar chinese aircraft look to US aircraft.  Hmm.

14. Greg Norton says:

Joan Rivers had a unique look I can only describe as Plasticface from the mid 80s until her death. Not to diminish her brilliance, but she had lousy taste in plastic surgeons, which led to her untimely demise.

(Well, that and her dead-on observations about First Lady Michelle Obama being transgendered … but I digress)

Sarah Silverman needs publicity for her podcast.

Stockard Channing stood in for Rivers in the semi-autobiographical revenge fantasy, "The Girl Most Likely To …", Rivers first — and arguably last — successful attempt at screenwriting. Rivers obviously didn't have a problem with the "Jewface" used at the beginning of the movie to make Channing look "ugly" or the fact that the look of the character changed to unaltered “Stockard Channing in her prime” early in the flick portraying a Jewish girl made "glamorous".

15. ech says:

They are purposefully going to slow USPS down.

No, they are raising prices due to demand and changing the standards for delivery time to meet what they can do. COVID hit USPS at a bad time. They were in the middle of a bi-partisan approved plan to redeploy assets away from first class mail to packages. So, they got hit with a huge bolus of packages due to the pandemic, then a huge bolus of mail ballots that they were not really prepared to handle. A perfect storm.

16. Greg Norton says:

The Progs are branching out now that shaming for blackface is another path to power.

Except for the current Governor of Virginia. He gets a pass … if he isn't the one wearing the Klan hood in that picture.

My wife has been at several presentations on ethics at medical conferences where the speakers caution the young male med students and doctors to not get caught in a picture crossdressing unless they identify as transgender. The commonly held belief among the people who think about these things is that drag at Halloween or similar event is going to be equal to blackface in about a decade, and anything posted to the Internet never really goes away.

17. MrAtoz says:

First FauXi, now the CDC:

CDC recommends "virtual Thanksgiving" this year

Again, we are heading for two years of face diapers, distancing, and lockdowns, and the CDC thinks people aren't going to gather for Thanksgiving because they say so? I'll be enjoying my super-spreader event, again, this year. Geez.

18. Ray Thompson says:

First FauXi, now the CDC:

Wasn't it also FauXi and the CDC that stated there would be massive surges in Covid cases due to collegiate and pro football games? Five weeks in and there has been no surges. We are being played with fake predictions and unfounded mandates.

19. Clayton W. says:

The prediction was fake, it was WRONG.  And why doesn't the press hold him, and the president, to their predictions.  Rhetorical.

20. Greg Norton says:

My wife's nephew wants to leave the Army, resign his 1st Lt. commission, and do the MBA to tech management transition either here in Austin or in WA State. Apparently, that is quite a trend among the young officers, particularly at DoD contractors or security vendors.

I've been clear that he is not welcome at our house to execute that kind of plan with an undergrad in Journalism. He's on his own to figure out Austin housing costs to attend UT MBA, especially if it is “Professional Development” and not a real Masters.

Everyone who is planning to push back on the mandates should be unfailingly polite in dealing with HR and be aware that anything in Teams or company email may be used against them in an unemployment hearing if they try to file a claim. I'd even suggest not opening personal mail on a company machine, but YMMV.

21. drwilliams says:

@ITGuy1998

Does UofA have an undeclared engineering option for entering frosh?

22. ITGuy1998 says:

Does UofA have an undeclared engineering option for entering frosh?

Good question. We have the associate dean's contact info, so I'll have my son contact him and ask. Thanks for the suggestion.

23. lynn says:

"Lost and Found" by Orson Scott Card

Book number one of a two book young adult paranormal fantasy series. I read the well printed and well bound hardback published by Blackstone Publishing in 2019. I read this excellent book last year and reread it in case the sequel refers to it. I am reading the sequel next.

Ezekiel Blast is a smart aleck 14 year old loner in high school and has a publicly known micropower. His school nickname is "thief". Lost objects call out to him to return themselves to their owners. Girl's scrunchies, toy fire trucks, stolen bikes, and other odds and ends. But when he picks up the lost object and returns it, the owner usually accuses him of stealing it rather than being grateful for the return. His micropower manifested itself when he was five years old after his mother died when she was run over by a drunk. And then a police lieutenant shows up at his front door asking for help to find a kidnapped five year old girl.

OK, I stayed up until 3 am last night reading this book again. I could not put it down. And I want to reread it again some time again so that still means a five star book. BTW, there is human death in this book for those concerned about such. I suspect that OSC is using the book to warn young teenagers that there are bad people in the world. And that death happens even to good people.

Please note that Orson Scott Card has a website at

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
    Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (753 reviews)

24. Ray Thompson says:

Stupid VA (But I repeat myself).

Was sent to a local hospital on June 3 for a knee X-Ray. I just got a bill for the services saying the VA would not pay. So starts an adventure. The amount is $45.00.

Went to the VA clinic that sent me to the hospital. They say they don't deal with bills. I must contact VA billing.

I contact VA billing. They won't deal with the bill as it should be under community care. VA billing only deals with VA hospitals.

I contact community care. They won't deal with the bill because there is no service order. The only order they have is effective June 8, not June 3.

I contact the VA clinic again and explain the problem. I got in touch with another person who states that amount is way too low for an X-Ray and something is wrong. She looks at my records and finds where the doctor sent me to the facility for the X-Ray.

The clinic then says the bill should have been sent to the Harriman VA Clinic and they would pay the bill. But I must contact the billing entity. I told the nurse that is Vista Radiology and she than says I was never sent to them. I tell her they probably have a contract with the hospital. The nurse than says I must contact the provider as the VA will not contact the provider.

I contact the provider. I get a person, female as if that is relevant, who sounds like she is barely beyond grade school comprehension. It did not take more than 12.7 seconds to totally confuse her. I had to repeat my birth date and other items needed twice before she understood. Even now I am not so certain what has to happen registered.

I fully expect the VA clinic in Harriman to reject the bill when it arrives. Leaving me in limbo over the bill which I will receive in the mail again in a couple of months.

25. lynn says:

"Trillion-dollar platinum coin could be minted at the last minute"

A keepsake for Uncle Joe on his way out the door.

Hat tip to:

26. ITGuy1998 says:

"Trillion-dollar platinum coin could be minted at the last minute"

A keepsake for Uncle Joe on his way out the door.

I love the last sentence of the article…

"Voila, we'd have bought ourselves the equivalent of a trillion-dollar increase in the debt limit, without any impact on inflation," says Diehl.

Really? Why don't we just keep printing unlimited amounts of money then? Oh, wait…

27. Chad says:

I don't know of any high volume business that uses USPS for parcels. They're fairly competitive on the <1lb stuff, but for everything else a business can almost always negotiate FAR BETTER rates with UPS or FedEx than USPS. We use mostly UPS where I work for our 8M+ packages per year. We've negotiated something like 60% off what the average joe would pay walking into a UPS store and mailing the same package.

28. Greg Noton says:

"Trillion-dollar platinum coin could be minted at the last minute"

A keepsake for Uncle Joe on his way out the door.

Axios and, subsequently, Drudge are just stirring the pot, possibly floating the trial balloon. The article fails to present anything new.

I don't think the coin can pass under reconciliation. Kamala can override the Parliamentarian, but she could do that to pass the debt limit increase.

The Dems want at least one set of Republican fingerprints on the debt ceiling bill.

29. lynn says:

"Trillion-dollar platinum coin could be minted at the last minute"

A keepsake for Uncle Joe on his way out the door.

I don't think the coin can pass under reconciliation.

I wonder if the coin will have a serial number ?

30. lynn says:

"Canada invokes 1977 treaty to keep Enbridge Line 5 open"

"The Canadian government has requested diplomatic negotiations with the US to keep Enbridge Inc.’s Line 5 crude and propane pipelines open in Michigan. Canada filed the request in federal court in the Western District of Michigan."

31. lynn says:

"Texas billionaire and family reign as the world’s richest clan"

"As of mid-September, the Waltons were worth $238.2 billion, according to Bloomberg. That’s almost $100 billion above the next richest family in the world, the Mars family of candy and pet care fame. Last year, Bloomberg pegged the Waltons’ fortune at $215 billion."

Wow.

32. Greg Norton says:

I wonder if the coin will have a serial number ?

Someone at the Mint will have a career capping piece of work with "The Coin". They aren't going to pull a stock platinum blank and stamp it.

33. ech says:

Re: Trillion Dollar Coin

It may not be legal. The denominations of currency coins are covered by law. The only coins that can be made by the mint with other denominations are bullion coins, where the value of the metal is higher than the face value.

34. Greg Norton says:

Congress has the explicit power to coin money and "regulate the value thereof". The legal question is whether the bill ordering the production and setting the value of the coin can be passed under reconciliation, but that is a relatively minor issue.

The Roberts Court has consistently sided with protecting "foolish" political choices made by the voters so don't expect any help there. However, I doubt things will actually go so far. The Dems could simply vote to raise the debt ceiling instead of exploring the wild frontier of Constitutional Law. They want a RINO’s name involved for cover next Fall, and the usual suspects are keeping their distance.

35. Nick Flandrey says:

Well, no good deed goes unpunished….  while driving the truck for school today I hit a parked car.  Ripped the front off in fact.   I'm driving so it goes on my insurance.  Wonder if they'll renew me?  I hope the other lines of business will be enough to keep me because I don't like change.

For the record, 26ft box van vs honda pilot bumper and fender?  Lotta broken plastic, a little scrape on the truck.

And shady as h3ll that the car owner, a storefront auto dealer/repair shop, just wants money for the parts.  He parked a customer car on the street and it got wrecked.  Gotta be something for the insurance cos to fight over with that.

We bought the insurance on the Uhaul, so even though the damage was in the exact same spot as previous damage, they'll file for it.  We're clear on that risk though.

Joy.

And a blown afternoon.

36. Nick Flandrey says:

Um, WHAT???

'Planetary defense!' NASA will launch November mission to deflect 'devastating' asteroid from hitting Earth by NUDGING it with a spacecraft, agency says

• NASA's mission to deflect an asteroid using a spacecraft is targeting a late November launch
    • The DART spacecraft will head towards the Didymos binary on November 24 aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket
    • It will smash into Didymoon at roughly 13,500mph on October 2, 2022
    • Didymoon came close to Earth in 2003, coming within 3.7 million miles
    • According to NASA, over 25,000 near-Earth objects have been discovered

37. MrAtoz says:

F plugs! F plugs! F plugs!

Hear that, Joe?! Thousands of TEACHERS who lost their jobs for refusing COVID vaccine chant something VERY FAMILIAR in NYC (watch)

What difference, at this point, does it make? We are already ushering in the dumbest generation in decades with stay at home schooling.

38. MrAtoz says:

Um, WHAT???

Great. One little error and it's deflected to center of mass. That of the Earth. The *scientists* were too busy with Mooslim outreach and climate change lies to double check the trajectory equations.

39. Rick H says:

Today's tweaks:

• The 'Nick Filter' to remove empty lines in comments. (They are still there, just not displayed). Should make it easier to read comments, especially on smaller screens, due to less white space.
    • The comments list on the sidebar has better (thinner) line spacing between comments.
    • Clicking on the comment date link (usually blue) will change it to green, as a visual indicator of a 'visited' comment. The same color scheme is on the sidebar comment list.

I haven't been able to duplicate the long-text (as in long URLs) spillover on smaller screens. I see it as a wrapped line in the FF screen emulator, and on my Android phone.

40. Geoff Powell says:

@nick:

DART (Double Asteroid Redirection Test) is a mission to test the feasibility of altering the path of a possible Earth impacting asteroid. This one (65803 Didymos) is not currently expected to pose a danger to Earth, but they are hoping to demonstrate the ability to change an asteroid's orbit – in this case the secondary component of the binary asteroid.

It's NOT currently considered a threat.

G.

41. ~jim says:

I think it went away a little after Alan mentioned it. I was seeing it too (in my obscure browser) but now it's gone.

42. lynn says:

"Biden Becomes a Bernie Sanders Democrat?"

"When Biden reached the Hill, however, he threw in with the hostage-takers. He asked for a delay in House passage of his own infrastructure bill, until the demands of the progressives were addressed and met… Biden had ditched the Biden Democrats and cast his lot with Sanders & Co."

Yup, Bite Me is a Bernie Bro.

43. Rick H says:

From @Lynn (paralyzed by 500 errors)

I am trying to decide if I am brave enough to move to the 64 bit version
    of Thunderbird.  I have discussed the move with a couple of people, they
    did not run into any showstoppers.  Yet.  I have 60 GB of email and news
    on my office PC that I do not want to get toasted.

44. MrAtoz says:

Ladies and gentlemen, your President:

‘What’s this old man talking about?’ President Biden tells a story about his grandpop during Michigan visit

Old man yells at a cloud. plugs can barely put two words together, yet tRRRUUUMMMPPP!!!

45. Greg Norton says:

The meme is: "Yeah, Biden. Trump, tho."

Mispelling “though” is intentional. It is part of the meme.

46. lynn says:

Um, WHAT???

It will smash into Didymoon at roughly 13,500mph on October 2, 2022
    Didymoon came close to Earth in 2003, coming within 3.7 million miles
    According to NASA, over 25,000 near-Earth objects have been discovered

What could go wrong ?

47. lynn says:

"Windows 11 review: Microsoft’s most pleasant OS—until it isn't"

"It's polished and secure, but also frustrating in entirely new ways."

"At first glance, Windows 11 may seem like a radical departure from Microsoft's typical desktop template — an aesthetic that hearkens all the way back to Windows 95. The taskbar is still around, but now all of your icons are centered by default. The Start menu is back with a redesigned look featuring pinned and recommended apps (you can also hit All Apps to see everything you've got installed). RIP, Live Tiles — nobody ever used you.

This refreshed look extends throughout Windows 11: App windows now have rounded corners; icons, Windows Explorer and the Settings app look sharper than ever; and even the sound effects have been cleaned up. This is Windows at its most refined. To put it uncharitably, though, it also seems a lot like macOS. But fret not, Windows diehards: You can still shove the entire taskbar back to the left side of the screen. (Editor’s note: Where it belongs.)"

48. DadCooks says:

WRT moving to Thunderbird 64 bit:

You'll only run into problems if you have not made at least 2 safe and secure backups of your >Users >"YourName" >AppData >Roaming >Thunderbird and all the directories and files there.

Now follow these instructions (yes, I know you are just changing 32 to 64 bit, but it is like moving)

Take a deep breath…

49. Greg Norton says:

Looks like Gnome/Fedora on my travel laptop, but that machine won't even run Windows 10 Home anymore.

I downloaded the Windows 11 media. It won't install on my ye olde ThinkPad T420.

50. drwilliams says:

@Lynn

"I am amazed that the governor of Michigan thinks that she can unilaterally shutdown national infrastructure.  Something else is going on here."

The same thing ailing all Democrats: Fatal hubris combined with metastatic ego hypertrophy.

51. lynn says:

"Exclusive: Government Secretly Orders Google To Identify Anyone Who Searched A Sexual Assault Victim’s Name, Address And Telephone Number"

"The U.S. government is secretly ordering Google to provide data on anyone typing in certain search terms, an accidentally unsealed court document shows. There are fears such “keyword warrants” threaten to implicate innocent Web users in serious crimes and are more common than previously thought."

Be careful what you search for on the intertubes.

Hat tip to:

52. Marcelo says:

If you really want to do it and the issue is TPM 2.0 then the following has comments and references:

53. Nick Flandrey says:

COVID-19 rapid test maker recalls about 200,000 kits in the US because as many as A QUARTER of results may be false positives Australian manufacturer Ellume said it is recalling nearly 200,000 of its COVID-19 rapid test kits The test comes with a nasal swab analyzer that connects to an app on users' smartphone, and gives results in 15 minutes Officials from the company said one of the kits' raw materials is causing test results to come back as false positives The problem affected 427,000 kits – half of which have already been used – and resulted in 42.000 positives, of which up to 25% may be inaccurate Customers who attempt to use one of the affected kits will get a notification from the app about the recall and can request a replacement kit

Lotta false positives.

And crime, oh theres a bunch of crime in NYFC

54. Nick Flandrey says:

China.  Hope they don't kick it off while I'm in Florida.

China warns World War Three could be triggered 'at any time' after it sent dozens of warplanes into Taiwan's airspace as Big Lizzie joins US aircraft carrier and Japanese warships in huge Philippine sea exercise

• State-backed newspaper said Chinese people were ready to back war with US
    • Comes as China is becoming increasingly provocative towards Taiwan
    • Meanwhile, Beijing has been infuriated by activity of US and UK navies in region
    • HMS Queen Elizabeth was picture undertaking training exercise is Philippine sea
    • Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen vowed to 'do whatever it takes' to guard island
    • But she indicated that without help from allies, China could seize the island
    • Nearly 150 Chinese warplanes have flown into Taiwan's airspace since Friday
    • President Xi has described the seizure of the democratic island as 'inevitable'
    • n
  55. drwilliams says:

Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen recently reiterated herstance that climate change poses a threat to the U.S. economy.

“Climate change is an existential threat, and it is a very high priority of President Biden’s and of mine to address it,” Yellen told the Senate Banking Committee last week.

Her handwaving about making renewables reliable was countered by the author of the post:

"A while ago I performed a rough calculation, total cost of wind turbines to produce enough annual power, to replace the current US generator fleet is around $20 trillion.

But the cost of battery storage to redistribute the peaks and troughs into a smooth supply throughout the year, by my calculation, was around $50 trillion."

Total: $70 trillion

Using BPMI (Biden-Pelosi Math Idiocy) we recognize that this is twenty times the $3.5 trillion sack-of-progressive-wet-dreams, so the actual cost is:

ZERO

With Yellen in charge of Treasury, having retirement funds in dollars ain't looking too smart. Where did I put that mailer on investing in single-malts in a bonded warehouse?

56. Alan says:

Not to mention DeJoy's years of postal-related experience.

57. Alan says:

I'd even suggest not opening personal mail on a company machine, but YMMV.

Maybe so in a small shop but I'd be surprised to find any corporate-run IT org that doesn't block Gmail / Yahoo / Hotmail / etc.

58. Alan says:

Uhh, guys, were the distances in those equations in Imperial or metric??

59. Nick Flandrey says:

Uhh, guys, were the distances in those equations in Imperial or metric??

–I don't care who you are, that is some funny sh!t right there!

60. Nick Flandrey says:

I'm going to bed.  Long day, non stop action, and too much of it.

namaste'

61. lynn says:

"Best Science Fiction Heist Books" by Dan Livingston

I have read "Broken Angels", "The Stainless Steel Rat", and "Neuromancer" out of the 10.

62. Alan says:

Uhh, guys, were the distances in those equations in Imperial or metric??

–I don't care who you are, that is some funny sh!t right there!

Hat tip to the Mars Climate Orbiter

63. Jenny says:

Good grief I am tired.
    FIVE NIGHTS of public testimony against a mask ordinance and we aren't done yet. We are adjourned until 5 pm Thursday.

I dare say we have the nine leftists on our Assembly a little testy. Our courageous Mayor and 1 battle hardened conservative Assembly member were using the same tactics of weaponizing Roberts Rule of Order very effectively tonight. That was refreshing after watching those same rules used to silence and oppress free speech in the last year.

They ran themselves out of time and list their opportunity to extend because they were busy bickering.

It is well worth watching any portion of the last five meetings on the Municipality of Anchorage YouTube channel.

There was confusion and dissent in play tonight.

If they are smart they'll relax and come back girded for battle Wednesday. I suspect their wounded pride will lead them to stir up their troops and pack the chambers Thursday. Since they're going to pass it anyway that might be ok. If they do that we may drive another night of testimony. And that gives our case counts time to drop further. Which weakens their argument for the ordinance and will hurt them at the election in April.

The sponsor of the ordinance was unhinged tonight.

64. Geoff Powell says:

@alan:

When I was gainfully employed (/me checks website. Ghod, it's five-and-a-half years ago! Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?) the IT troops did not block GMail. Many were the times when I had a Chrome tab open to GMail. Of course, there was no reason to expect privacy (it was a work machine) but it wasn't blocked. And not a small company – several hundred people on site in London, and more in about 5 sites oversea.

Of course, this was a Scandinavian TV company, transmitting to Scandinavia and Eastern Europe by satellite, from the UK (it's a long story, which I don't think I should share)

G.