09:47 – Barbara had plans to meet one of her friends for lunch today down in Winston. She originally planned to drive down this morning, pack up some stuff at the old house, meet her friend for lunch, and then drive back here this afternoon. The forecast yesterday was calling for snow yesterday afternoon and evening, so Barbara decided to drive down to Winston yesterday after lunch and spend the night with Frances and Al. The main roads have been plowed and salted and today’s forecast is good through this evening, so she shouldn’t have any problem getting back up here this afternoon. Starting this evening and running through Sunday morning, we’re under a winter storm warning. The high tomorrow is to be only 23F (-5C), and we’re to have 12″ to 24″ (30 to 60 cm) of snow.
I see that the Washington DC area was shut down yesterday by 0.5″ to 1″ (1.25 to 2.5 cm) of snow, with many accidents and gridlock on the main roads. I wonder what they’ll do when a foot or more of snow falls over the next couple of days. We might get as much as two feet of snow here. We’re planning to stay indoors, but if we did need to go out it probably wouldn’t be much of a problem. The main roads here, including the one we live on, should be plowed and salted.
With Barbara away, Colin and I re-watched several episodes each of Jericho and Heartland yesterday evening. I would have done the wild-women-and-parties thing except that I don’t know any wild women in Sparta and I hate parties.